Saturday 5 July 2014

One sick girl

Winter is here. It took its sweet time but it finally swooped down on us in a flurry of super cold nights and windy days. We went from 15'C to 4'C evenings overnight. And no, we were not prepared. And neither was our little Gracie. After a fortnight of craptastic sleeping and behaviour we were not so shocked to find out she has a double ear infection. 

I had suspected she wasn't well for a week or so. And as the doting nurse/Mummy that I am I took her to the GP and demanded that they look into her ears, feel her glands and check out her throat.  The result was a very nonchalant reply that went along the lines of "it's just a growth spurt and you just need to keep an eye on her and blah blah blah". So I took her home and did as instructed.  Five days later Hubby and I found ourselves up til 4am with a screaming baby girl who hadn't slept in eight hours and, despite dosing her with ibuprofen and paracetamol, could not be consoled.  The next morning I stormed back into the GPs office, armed with an appointment with our usual doctor, and asked for a second opinion. He took one look at her ears and declared it as a full-blown infection. I was livid; we started antibiotics that afternoon. 

I suck at having a sick baby. I am a nurse and I am horrible at having a sick baby. I thought I'd be able to rock this kind of situation but I feel like I've done the opposite.  I got short-tempered and frustrated. I cried when she cried. I attempted to force antibiotics and pain relief down her poor little throat and when she refused I handed her over to her Daddy instead. At work I didn't cry over patients. I didn't slip meds into their food.  But I wasn't their parent. I wasn't their Mummy. They weren't my first-born baby with their very first illness. And we've never had to deal with all this stuff before.

So it's been a week. Gracie has reluctantly swallowed each foul dose of antibiotics. She's spent many a night falling asleep on my chest and sometimes stayed there the whole night.   And she really has been a bloody champion about it all. She's put up with my incompetence, with her aches and pains, and the horrible belly cramps that come with antibiotics. She's giggled and played, chased The Boo around the floor, and given us the warmest cuddles.  And finally she is getting better. Thank goodness!  

Oh, and isn't she just the cutest little sickie? 

3 comments:

  1. Ear infections are the worst. When Cooper gets them he is a feverish mess. It breaks my heart. Always listen to your instincts. You know her best. Hope she is feeling 100% very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 視訊美女-做愛裸聊室
    金瓶梅視訊-293真人秀場聊天室
    live173影音視訊live秀-台灣uu視頻聊天室
    live173影音live秀-免費視訊-uu視頻聊天室
    live173視訊影音live秀-夫妻開放聊天室
    173視訊聊天-同城午夜聊天室
    173視訊-開放性聊天室
    視訊交友-福利聊天室
    漾美眉視訊交友-美女福利視頻秀
    小可愛視訊-真愛旅舍視頻聊天室
    寂寞聊天群酷我秀場美女主播_視頻聊天室韓國輕色系電影境外成人網站網址jp 日本視訊網
    美女性感聊天室網站色聊天室網站真人解開美女胸衣視頻華人第一成人社區日本櫻花視訊
    寂寞交友吧愛聊北京交友貼吧夜色約炮網免費視訊影音聊天室上海1夜情社區日本視訊美女
    一夜情網同城交友視頻跳舞的女人真人美女視頻聊天室成人一級片快播下載免費日本視訊
    寂寞同城交友俱樂部ONS交友俱樂部qq群六間房語音聊天室白領美女生活真實照日本視訊帳號

    ReplyDelete
  3. 免費交友軟體-秀色裸聊秀場
    免費視訊聊天室-約炮交友直播間平台
    影音視訊聊天室-美女主播福利視頻
    視訊聊天室-午夜寂寞聊天室
    視訊辣妹-午夜聊天室真人秀場
    104meme影音視訊聊天室-免費祼聊聊天室
    ut視訊-色裸聊直播間
    ut視訊聊天室-能看啪啪福利的聊天室
    免費視訊聊天-免費可以看裸聊直播app
    uthome視訊聊天-裸聊免費網
    打飛機聊天室色女生的qq午夜美女真人聊天室愛上擼成人網愛色吧成人影院色情視訊
    真人美女視頻聊天網站情人緣同城交友網六間房同城聊天室免費a片不用註冊情人視訊聊天網
    同城異性交友網成人視頻交友網美女視頻六間房聊天室女性異性按摩視頻痴漢成人網情人視訊
    免費陪聊視頻網語音視頻聊天網站台灣辣妹視訊聊天室愛伴遊網show love 視訊情人網
    同城床友交友網王朝聊天室破解台灣美女腿模視頻長沙包養網美女絲網套感圖片視訊情人

    ReplyDelete