Friday 3 January 2014

My family reunion - Part two

Yesterday was the big day. The day I met up with family I hadn't seen in over 10 years. And there's really only one way to describe it: lovely. It was absolutely lovely. 

To be honest there were some awkward introductory hugs at first, as I met my cousins again. But the awkwardness fell away as we sat down to eat and chat and catchup on the events of the last decade.  I learned that my cousin P wants to be a paramedic and is awaiting her acceptance into university. This will make her the eighth member of our extended family to head into the healthcare industry. I learned that my cousins C and M both moved back to Australia after their brother A did, because they couldn't stand being so far away from him in London. And that all three of them now work for competing IT companies. But most importantly I learned that each and every one of them was interested in getting to know me and my little family better, that there were no hard feelings for the years gone by and they too had been excited to reconnect. 

By the end of lunch I felt completely at ease and accepted back into the clan. My aunt was nursing Gracie as Hubby and I chatted away. And when it was time for us all to part ways they all lined up to give us big hugs and kisses. We took a few snapshots to reminisce over later and said our farewells, promising to not leave it so long before we all spent time together again. 

Like I said, it was lovely. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear this. I know you were nervous. It's always wonderful when something you fret about turns into a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete